Spoiler alert – I like untraditional breakfasts. Typically topped with the traditionally breakfast egg.
Well, maybe the second thing.
The salad aside, most of these breakfasts are quite heavy. I typically make them as for an early lunch rather than a still-in-pajamas-pre-drop-off meal, and drink a smoothie earlier in the morning.
But smoothies (even with Daily Harvest’s wide selection) get old after a while. Or you just want something hot.
Which is why I’ve been enjoying this instead.
Bone broth has been on trend for the past year. And while I’m skeptical about its health claims, I do love sipping on a hot liquid first thing in the morning. I also like being full.
Enter breakfast broth. That’s what I call it, anyway.
I rely on my tried-and-true Daily Harvest’s turmeric and lemongrass Detox Broth and regular vegetable broth as the base. With a few additional ingredients (including the all-important egg) and just a few minutes, you have a satisfying breakfast for the earliest of mornings.
I’m a fan. I hope you will be, too.
- Turmeric + Lemongrass Detox Broth from Daily Harvest (get 3 free cups with code HITHAONTHEGO)
- 1 cup of low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 egg
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- Heat up soup with broth, garlic, and ginger in a small saucepan, and bring to a rolling boil.
- While the soup heats, whisk an egg in a small bowl.
- Slowly drizzle the egg into the boiling soup, one forkful at a time. The egg will cook in a few seconds. Repeat until all of the egg is cooked.
- Season with black pepper and extra turmeric.
- Pour into a large mug and enjoy!