Turmeric and ghee are having quite the popularity contest right now. Both ingredients can be found in the lattes, grain bowls, and even in shots.
For me, they are ingredients as familiar as salt and pepper. I’ve grown up with my eggs being cooked in ghee and with a heavy dash of turmeric. My mother’s ‘tea’ (a mixture of hot water, turmeric, lemon, honey, and black pepper) was the first thing I drank when I felt a cold coming on. And rice with ghee was as familiar as macaroni and cheese, or peanut butter and jelly – you don’t eat one without the other.
I’ve been pretty excited to see these familiar ingredients become more mainstream. And a little amused, given how familiar they are for me.
Unless it’s for weekend brunch, I typically stay away from sweet breakfasts. I love savory dishes in the morning (soft scrambled eggs or this breakfast tartine), and I’ve been making this one for the past month now. The oatmeal itself is my father’s creation (hence the turmeric, ghee, and black pepper), but I’ve rounded it out with some sauteed vegetables, a crispy egg, and a drizzle of Sriracha.
But the oats, themselves, stay the same. They’re filling, anti-inflammatory, and light a fire in your belly – in the best way possible.
It’s my favorite breakfast. I hope it becomes yours, too.
SAVORY INDIAN OATMEAL
- 1/2 steel cut oats, uncooked
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Ghee (you can also use butter or olive oil)
- 1 egg
- 1 handful of baby spinach
- 1/2 bell pepper
- Optional – Sriracha (or any other hot sauce), goat cheese, kimchi
- Cook oatmeal according to package directions, with a pinch of sea salt
- Once oatmeal is cooked, stir in the black pepper, turmeric, and 1/4 teaspoon of ghee. Cover and set aside.
- Melt 1/4 teaspoon of ghee into a small pan and cook the bell pepper until softened. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Move the veggies to another plate and
- Melt another 1/4 teaspoon of ghee into the pan and cook the egg to your preference (I prefer a crispy egg)
- Pour oatmeal into the bowl. Top with the grilled veggies and egg. Drizzle Sriracha on top of the meal.
What’s your go-to breakfast right now? COMMENT below and let me know!Â
You can find all my easy recipes here.