Enjoying salads. Going to bed early. Is this growing up?
It must be.
I pulled together this dish quite randomly. I had cooked eggs and chicken sausage for Rho’s breakfast, and made some extra for myself. I had taken the spinach out of the fridge for another reason (a smoothie? To sautÃ©?), and roughly chopped up two handfuls. A drizzle of Sriracha and a sprinkle of chia seeds later, and I was staring at a breakfast salad.
One that I promptly devoured. It reminded me of the breakfasts we had in Paris, with every one accompanied by a small salad. I get it. I totally get it now.
I made it again two days later for my father and I (no sausage for him), and again this weekend.
Chances are I made it this morning (check my Instagram Stories to see).
This is a light, filling breakfast that requires minimal effort and time. You’re left feeling energized and satisfied.
Which is key for a Monday. Or any day, really.
- 2 cups of greens of your choice, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 sausages (I like frozen Applegate chicken and apple sausage)
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Optional – any additional vegetables, herbs or proteins you have in your fridge (I like smoked salmon & dill with Greek yogurt, sun dried tomatoes and olives with mozzarella, or falafel and tahini)
- Roughly chop your greens and spread them on a dinner plate
- Cook sausage according to package directions. Cut into bite sized pieces
- Cook eggs to your liking in 1 teaspoon of ghee. I like crispy fried eggs, seasoned with Himalayan pink salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Top greens with eggs and sausage.
- Drizzle with Sriracha (or sauce of your liking)
Have you had salad for breakfast? Would you? COMMENT below and let me know!