Moving with your husband is a lot like getting married – no one warns you how HARD it’s going to be.
After a little blood, a LOT of sweat, and more tears than I’d like to acknowledge, we’re in the new apartment. It’s still overflowing with our belongings and some boxes, but I can’t wait for us to be settled. I posted a few shots of our new view on Instagram, if you want a peek!
- Between helping me unpack and kicking technology sales ass, Olivia wrote this gem of work bag essentials. Note to self – throw a nail file and nail polish remover wipe in my bag.
- I shed a few tears after watching this video. Grab a tissue before clicking play.
- It’s no secret that Felicia is one of my favorite writers. This post is just another reason why.
- These fashion innovations are so perfect for travel.
- I’m in dire need to get my eating back on track. This article (and the app!) have been a major help so far.
- I’m sure you’ve heard from other blogs that the Shopbop sale is back. Forget shoes and clothes – the sale is a great chance to snap up some amazing travel accessories that I swear by. My picks – the Spacepak set and Hudson+Bleecker makeup bag and garment bag. Full disclosure – these are affiliate links, but the cashola generated from this blog helps me keep lights on and improve the website.
I’m afraid this will be it for me this week! Back to unpacking…
I’m prone to forgetting to pack underwear. It’s a sad truth I’m embarrassed to admit. Even sadder is the amount of money I’ve spent purchasing underwear at airports ($10 for a basic cotton pair? Thieves).
What’s a girl to do? She blogs about it once she figures out a system that works.
Friends, I have FOUND that system. Not only does it ensure that I pack my undergarments, it guarantees that I’ll have the right ones – no more no less.
Some additional packing tips for those unmentionables:
- It’s boring, but you can never go wrong with nude and black undergarments – particularly if you’re inclined to wear light colored tops and dark bottoms.
- The stain-resistant underwear may be an odd one, but you will never be more grateful to be donning a pair of Dear Kates than when Aunt Flo decides to come for an impromptu visit. These delicates won’t be ruined by her surprise, and they’re amazingly comfortable and so pretty. BONUS – get 25% off your order from Dear Kates using the code “hithaonthego” (offer good through April 20th)
- You can swap out a wireless bra for an extra sports bra – but I’m obsessed with Addiction’s triangular bra. It offers the right amount of support for dashing through airports (which, let’s face it, is my cardio) without pinching you on long flights.
- I’m a recent convert to shapewear. After being amused by Heather Thomson’s wit on Real Housewives of NYC, I purchased my first Yummie item (this slimming tank). Consider me obsessed – her garments are smoothing without suffocating you. This convenient package of shapewear has me covered for any outfit, anywhere, at any time.
- I love this FLIGHT001 lingerie bag for the same reasons I love my SpacePak - it keeps my garments protected from the other elements in my suitcase, it has a dirty clothing compartment (key), and the separate lingerie bag ensures I actually pack my underwear. The detergent LIVES in my liquids bag – underwear is the easiest thing to wash in a hotel room sink, and it dries quickly.
I’d also love to know – what random packing pains do you have? Do you forget socks? Enough shirts? Snacks? Something else? COMMENT below and let me know!
It’s the end of an era! We’re spending our last days in the apartment, getting work done and packing up.
I thought I would be more sad to say goodbye to our first home together, and in NYC – but I’m not. To be honest, we’ve outgrown this space and I feel like we’re bursting out the seams. I couldn’t be happier to embrace our new space while entering a new decade.
We have movers coming to do the bulk of the work, so we’re talking advantage of this weekend to fully relax. Tonight we have a date night at the AMNH to hear Neil Degrasse Tyson speak. I’m meeting Julia and Clara for dinner tomorrow night. This weekend? All we have on deck is catching Captain America, packing, and enjoying the city. Here’s hoping the weather holds up.
On to the good stuff.
- The answers to the questions everyone was asking during the Game of Thrones premiere.
- How glamorous is the new Air France marketing campaign? I’m obsessed.
- Vogue.com continues to rule the internet, with its #iwokeuplikethis series featuring Miranda Kerr and Dita von Teese.
- Two of my favorite women, Nancy Pelosi and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, have lunch. Thankfully, it’s documented by the Times.
- I’ve been a fan of Preetma Singh since her lawyering and blogging days. She’s now the market editor for WSJ, and deservedly featured on The Cut. She’s also a drummer in a band. Pretty much the coolest woman ever.
- From tragedy to happy tails – the heartwarming “where are they now” updates of Michael Vick’s fighting dogs. *sniff*
Love the romper in the picture? Me too. Here are some similar options, to meet any price point: