The three elements of a perfect meal (for me) include cheese, carbs, and a little heat.
I need such a meal on a weekly basis. Sometimes more than once a week.
This twist on classic penne arrabbiata is a regular in our home. It’s spicier than most, slightly tangy, and so comforting. I use chickpea pastaÂ to boost the health factor, and always pair it with a big salad.
But sometimes you want regular penne, no greens, and extra cheese. And that’s okay too.
CREAMY PENNE ARRABIATA
- 1 pound penne (I love Banza)
- 28 ounce can of fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of chili flakes
- 1 jalapeno (with seeds, for extra heat), minced
- 1/4 cup of goat cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Basil (optional)
- Boil pasta in salted water, per package instructions
- In another pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook until soft
- Add tomatoes and chili flakes and bring to a simmer. Add goat cheese and stir until melted. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add pasta to sauce and toss until the pasta is well-coated. Top with fresh basil and serve!