It was my usual order.
Fried tofu. Chicken pad thai, 4 stars. Double side of peanut sauce. A Diet Coke with lots of ice.
I’d visit the Thaiger Room at least twice a week, and order this exact meal.
The meal was my salve for bad days, a celebratory meal on good days, and the cure to an overwhelming day. I always ate it in the restaurant, sharing the meal with a good friend of a good book.
And no matter the day I was having, the meal always made it better.
I’ve never needed this meal more.
It’s been an overwhelming past few weeks, and I’ve been craving my Thaiger Room go-to more than ever. While I’ve mastered an at-home version of the tofu and peanut sauce, I was failing on the pad thai front.
And then I went to the Daily Harvest offices last week, for the launch of their new cardamom coffee.
The coffee was delicious, and I learned a lot from the morning routines panel.
But it’s this hack that changed my entire mood.
“Just add a spoon of peanut butter to the kimchi cauliflower harvest bowl. It tastes exactly like pad thai.”
They were right.
I’ve found that extra Sriracha and a squeeze of lime juice give it a stronger Thai flavor, and crushed peanuts and sprouts can add some lovely texture.
In any case, I’ve found my replacement comfort meal. And a healthier version, at that.
My college self would have definitely approved.
- 1 Daily Harvest Cauliflower Rice + Kimchi Harvest Bowl
- 1 heaping tablespoon of peanut butter
- Sriracha, to taste (I like 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice (or juice from 1/2 lime)
- Crushed peanuts (optional)
- Bean sprouts (optional)
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
- Empty contents of the Daily Harvest cup into a small saucepan. Heat over medium, until the contents begin to thaw.
- Add the peanut butter and Sriracha, stirring until they’re well combined with the vegetables.
- Remove from heat and add the lime juice, stirring until well combined.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with peanuts, sprouts, or cilantro.
Haven’t tried Daily Harvest yet? Get 3 free cups with the code HITHAONTHEGO.