Forget healthy eating. Or working out more. Or drinking more water.
When we got home from our needed-a-vacation-after-that-vacation, there was one thing I wanted.
A grilled cheese sandwich. But not just any grilled cheese.
I wanted myÂ grilled cheese, especially having suffered through 4 burned ones at the Sheraton Kona (and trust me, it was the only palatable thing on the menu).
Sri watched Rho as I popped across the street to our corner store. I picked up the last loaf of sourdough (not required, but highly recommended), a package of sliced sharp cheddar cheese, and a handful of jalapeÃ±os.
You know. The important things.
Standing over a stove is the last thing I want after 20 hours of traveling. But the chopping of the peppers, the spreading of mayo and mustard on the bread, and the flipping of the sandwich was exactly what I needed.
With that first bite, I was finally home.
- Bread (I prefer sourdough)
- Sliced cheese (sharp white cheddar is what I use)
- Dijon mustard
- Vegan mayonnaise (or regular)
- Chopped jalapeÃ±os
- Heat a small pan over medium heat (this one is my favorite).
- Spread a thin layer of mustard on both slices of bread.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of the mustard layer. Sprinkle the chilies on top of the cheese, and layer it with another slice of cheese. Place the other slice of bread on top, mustard side down.
- Spread mayonnaise on the top slice of bread. Flip and place it on the pan, mayonnaise side down.
- As the sandwich cooks, spread mayonnaise on the top slice. Flip after 3 minutes or until you see the cheese begin to melt.
- Cook the sandwich for another 3 minutes, and flip again. Cook for 1 minute, and remove from the pan.
- Slice, and enjoy.