I truly do enjoy making dinner every night.
Devices away. Hands washed. Food removed from the fridge.
Chop, dice, whisk.
The smell of garlic and ginger, sizzling in hot oil. The heft of a chefâ€™s knife in your hand. The little bits of cabbage that get stuck on your hands.
Thatâ€™s my reality, every evening. But in reality, Iâ€™m also rushing into the kitchen 30 minutes later than planned, and the Purple Carrot meals I ordered is more labor and time-intensive than I anticipated.
Even though weâ€™ve been using (and loving!) the meal kit service for a solid month.
For the nights that Iâ€™m a rush, wiped, and starving, this recipe is a total lifesaver.
Prep time is halved with pre-chopped slaw mix. Most of the ingredients (Sriracha, mayonnaise, and sesame seeds) are staples in our pantry.
And it tastes even better the next day.
I stumbled upon the original recipe on Pinterest (where else), but have tweaked it for my taste and for what we typically have in our fridge.
Itâ€™s healthy. Itâ€™s delicious. And itâ€™s FAST.
In short, it’s a perfect dinner.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 organic ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 4 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (I prefer veganaise)
- 14 ounces of slaw mix
- 3 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Black sesame seeds for garnish
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet, over medium heat
- Add onion, garlic, and ginger until soft
- Add ground turkey, jalapeno, and 1 tablespoon Sriracha until meat is cooked through (about 8 minutes)
- Add slaw mix, tamari, rice wine vinegar, salt, and pepper and stir until well combined. Continue to stir regularly until cabbage is tender.
- Whisk the remaining Sriracha and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Plate the slaw-turkey mixture on a plate. Drizzle the sauce on top of the mix, and sprinkle the black sesame seeds on top.