I had a tradition every time I flew into India for work.
I’d arrive in Mumbai (after a 14 hour flight) and immediately check into the Waterstones Hotel. I unpack my essentials for the night, shower and do my facial, and order room service.
The dish? Chili cheese toast. Every time.
It’s as if a grilled cheese and a croque monsieur had a one night stand in India. It’s so simple, but so delicious.
And spicy, obviously.
It’s traditionally made with processed cheese and cheap white bread, but I prefer to use fresh sourdough and sharp white cheddar. All you need are the chiles (duh) and a little bit of minced garlic, and you have yourself a satisfying meal.
Ketchup (with a little bit of Sriracha mixed in) highly recommended.
CHILI CHEESE TOAST
- 8 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 cups of sharp white cheddar
- 2-3 chopped jalapeÃ±os (de-seeded, if you prefer it mild)
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Drizzle bread with olive oil and toast on medium (either in a pan or toaster)
- Sprinkle garlic and jalapeÃ±os on each slice of bread.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of garlic and jalapeÃ±os.
- Place toasts on a baking sheet and in the oven, set to broil.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes (or until cheese is melted)