If given the choice, I’d always pick savory over sweet, champagne over a cocktail, and tacos over, well, anything.
I’m a reluctant salad eater, preferring soups and roasted vegetable bowls over a generous portion of leafy greens and raw veggies.
But I can’t deny how good I feel after eating a salad – energized, light, and ready to tackle my growing to-do list.
Tacos, while delicious, often have the opposite effect.
So I dutifully make and eat salad – either a kale one (topped with whatever is in the fridge), or this three bean salad.
As far as salads go, the latter is my family’s favorite.
Originally created by my friend Nagina, it’s one of her not-so-secret recipes to feel nourished and boost your health.
The salad is hearty, delicious, and flavorful.
And if you double up the recipe, you’ll have enough to last you all week with minimal dishes to clean and no actual cooking.
I love it. I think you will, too.
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded (if you want it less spicy) and chopped
- 3 cups of greens (I prefer baby spinach or arugula for this salad)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except for the greens and dressing
- In a small bowl, add all dressing ingredients and whisk together.
- Combine the bean mixture and the dressing, adding the dressing slowly and mixing well. Taste as your stir, and stop when the mixture is flavored to your liking.
- Arrange greens on a plate. Spoon 1 cup of the bean mixture on top, and enjoy!