The Outfit I Buy Every Season

I have zero self-control when it comes to Flaming Hot Cheetos, Claudia Gray’s novels, or matching top/bottom sets.

I lived in this top and skirt from Old Navy all last summer. This summer, this high-necked top and loose drawstring pants in a subtle zig-zag print are what I’ve been reaching for, week after week.

For days at The Wing, I’ll throw on a denim jacket or lightweight cardigan on top (or, if we’re being honest, in my bag) and pair it with a textured mule. For an event or date night, I’ll swap my flats for a heeled mule and swipe on a bright lipstick. I stalk Moda Operandi for cheeky clutches, and this one is a nice nod to my pharma roots.

I’ve also worn the pieces separately. The top looks great with a pair of denim cutoffs or a simple pair of black shorts, and a satin sneaker or embellished sandal. A linen t-shirt and the pants, with a ballet flat and a crossbody bag, have been ideal for camp drop-offs and running errands in the neighborhood.

The ROI on this outfit is huge (especially considering that the top and pants are both on sale). And do let me know if you find any other matching top-bottom looks for fall – I’m on the hunt.

Well, that was quick.

Yep! Quick Hits are short posts that peek into my life – what I’m wearing, cooking, and reading. View all quick hits here, and check out these recent ones I know you’ll love:

  • The outfit is really cute, but I hesitate to shop at Old Navy because they’re pretty horrid about buying things from countries that don’t have good labor practices. It’s such a dilemma…

    • hithaonthego

      I fully agree with you re: Old Navy’s labor practices. I shop there mainly for my son, but I can’t resist a few pieces for myself. I fully understand if shopping there doesn’t feel right to you. For me, I try to live by the 80/20 rule – in fashion, it means 80% of my wardrobe is from socially and ecologically responsible companies (MM.LaFleur, Everlane, Cuyana, Encircled) and the remaining 20% is fast fashion (Old Navy, Zara, etc).
      I’d love to know how you mindfully shop!