Benjamin Franklin allegedly said “beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
I would argue with him, because grilled cheese made with croissants and brie is proof of a higher deity’s love for us.
Café Lalo in the Upper West Side is one of our favorite spots (for delivery and for dining) – and not just because it was in You’ve Got Mail.
They’ve got crispy French fries, by the bucket should you want them. They have red velvet cheesecake (which is otherworldly).
And they have brie-croissant grilled cheese sandwiches.
After a 6-week streak of ordering this for lunch (sometimes twice a week), it was time to make this myself. Because $13 for a sandwich is kind of crazy, even by New York standards.
I made it. I ate it.
And then I made and ate it again.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.
CROISSANT & BRIE GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
- 1 croissant, split in half
- Supreme Brie, cut into four 1″ pieces
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Layer the brie on the bottom half of the croissant
- Crack black pepper on top of the brie, and drizzle honey. Place the top half of the croissant on top.
- In a pan, melt a small pat of butter. Place the sandwich on the pan and cook until it’s golden brown.
- Flip the sandwich and cook on the other side.[/one_half_last]